[HLUG] HLUG Open Disc for SFD

Paul Stenning paul at sp-tech.co.uk
Mon Aug 30 18:13:06 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I have been sorting through the list we compiled at the last meeting,
the latest OpenDisc from www.theopendisc.com plus Open Source Windows
software that I use or am aware of and a bit of Googling to fill a
couplke of gaps, and so far have the following to include on our CD-ROM:

7-Zip
Audacity (plus the LAME MP3 addon)
Avidemux
Blender
Celestia
Dia
DVD Flick
Eraser
FileZilla
Firefox
FreeMind
Gantt Project
GIMP (plus help files)
GnuCash
Httrack
InfraRecorder
Inkscape
KeePass
Kompozer
Notepadd++
OpenOffice
PDF Creator
Pidgin
Putty
QCad
Really Slick Screensavers
RSS Owl
Scribus
SnapBackup
Songbird
Stellarium
SumatraPDF
Thunderbird (plus Lightning add-on)
VLC
WampServer
WinMerge

Regarding ready-made Apache/PHP/MySQL packages for Windows, at the
meeting someone suggested XAMPP.  However I had trouble getting this
working properly a few months ago and found all the XAMPP branding on
error pages etc annoying.  I use WampServer on my Windows XP PC for all
my web development work and find it to be reliable and easy to
configure.  Plus you can add in different versions of PHP, MySQL etc and
switch between them.  So I intend to include WampServer and not XAMPP on
the CD-ROM.

Paint.NET, although free for any purpose including commercial, is not
Open Source and the source code is not available.  See www.getpaint.net
for details.  For this reason we can't include it on our OpenDisc.  :(

The collection as above is 621MB.  If we estimate 20MB-30MB for the HTML
front-end with a small screenshot of each program (I'm just going to
have the index.html page launch in a browser) that still gives us
50-60MB free (assuming 700MB CD-ROM).

Maybe we can put some educational programs in that space and not need a
separate disc for that?  I have no idea what would be good to include or
how big they are though.

The ones on OpenDisc are CaRMetal (Interactive geometry program), Guido
van Robot (Introduction to programming for beginners) and Maxima
(Computer algebra system) all of which sound somewhat obscure to me.
There is also TuxPaint, TuxMath and TuxType in other sections.

If we need a bit more space we can always get rid of a couple of the
more obscure programs like FreeMind (8.7MB), WampServer (16MB) and
Eraser (9MB) or unnecessary bulky stuff like the GIMP help files
installer (23MB).  Potentially we could have over 110MB free for
educational programs.

I'd like to include PDF manuals for programs where these are available
if there's space, but I'm not that bothered if not.  I haven't started
looking for these yet.

Comments and suggestions for programs to include, exclude, change etc
are welcome.  If we can get the program list finalised this week I can
then work on the front-end and compiling the whole thing next weekend
and hopefully have something to show at the meeting on the 8th September.

Cheers,
Paul