[HLUG] End of the month

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Aug 31 10:52:39 UTC 2010

Quoting Paul Stenning <paul at sp-tech.co.uk>:

> Hi Matt,
>
> Can you clarify the cancellation process and fees please?
>
> When I get to the payment page I would be charged £1.17 which is
> correct.  However it says that there are items in my basket that will
> be billed monthly and charged to the same card, but doesn't say how
> much I will be charged.  Nor can I find any obvious information on how
> to cancel the hosting package and what that would cost, or whether I am
> tied into a minimum contract period.

OK, I've clarified this and I can confirm that the "monthly item" that
the payment page refers to is the "SiteMakerFREE" package.  This stems
from the way that our products and packages are organised in our
backend systems and therefore you will be billed £0.00 each month for
one year until the renewal of the service is due.  If you don't renew
it, the hosting lapses and you are not charged the renewal for it...

> This is why I have not continued.

Understandable.

> If I really can sign up for the £1.17, then in a few days cancel it and
> owe nothing more then I'm happy to go for it.  With different credit
> cards, email addresses and postal addresses I could probably do three.
> Obviously all rubbish domains that I have no intention of ever using,
> so no interest in transferring them out or renewing them.

If you are not going to use the domains, then log into your control
panel and set the rebilling to "manual".  This will mean that you do
not get charged the renewal fee for the domain in 12 months time.

If you're still uncertain, feel free to email me your phone number and
I'd be happy to chat about it.

I think I need to put together a guide about how to do this... :(

Kind regards,

Matt
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace