[HLUG] Excess hard drive activity

Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Wed Dec 1 11:56:03 UTC 2010

  Dear All

     Recently tried to upgrade from Jaunty to Meerkat but the disk I had
couldn't cope with Error 11 that arises from the change  from Grub to
Grub2. Ended up with wrecked boot sector and therefore access to
anything. Managed to salvage most of the data using a live disk and then
to re-partition and re-install Jaunty.

     Since this, Windows is OK, I can boot to Ubuntu but mostly (not
always) to a system where after the first request say open Thunderbird
starts the hard drive spinning endlessly up to say at least 10-15 mins
to no obvious purpose, the mouse pointer is frozen or eratic, the
machine locked up, the system monitor variously showing blocks of 0% or
100% usage, [Cntrl][Alt][Delete] or [Backspace], [Alt][F2]'Killx' or
attempting to energise Icon 'Forced Quit' had no effect. The only
possibility was just to turn off but then I found that
[Alt][PrtSc]r-e-i-s-u-b usually (but not always) stopped the drive at
-i, (-u unmounts the system and -r reboots).

     As far as I can tell, nothing is written to the disk, the system is
not infected, routine hardware tests seem OK, and if I boot Ubuntu
through Recovery Mode, perform the first stage of fsck I notice
something like a dmsg line 'Recovering avgd' then via 'Resume Normal
Boot' I usually have a usable system.

     Anyone have an idea what is going on here, is it housekeeping
following my multiple attempts at just crashing out of the system before
I discovered the [Alt][PrtSc] command?

Thanks folks

Chris