[HLUG] Excess hard drive activity

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 13:23:59 UTC 2010

Hi Chris

Not an easy one to work out.

I just wonder if you may be using a badly configured display driver ?

It does sound an odd fault but I think the hdd spinning a lot is down to a
rogue process taking a lot of the cpu.

If you have another pc perhaps you could try sshing to the main pc and
running top to see what is using the cpu so much

The other thing is you say you were trying to upgrade from jaunty to
maverick but that would have to be a multiple stage upgrade you have to
upgrade the non lts versions sequentially ie jaunty to karmic to lucid to
maverick. You can uphrade lts releases from one to the next in one go ie
hardy to lucid

Hope this helps

Julian