[HLUG] Excess hard drive activity

Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 10:50:32 UTC 2010

  Hi Julian

     Many thanks for this. I have no experience of SSH but have found a
couple of good tutorials and can see that the top command might well
reveal useful data. It looks to be an interesting project once I have
set up another machine, I'll have a go. Is the network best wired or
wireless or doesn't it matter? The only new feature is that it looks as
though the swap partition becomes fully utilised once the process gets
going and it does feel like some sort of rogue process as you say or
some sort of 'chaotic housekeeping' you can tell, the words of a layman!!.

     Given its intermittent nature can anything useful be gained from
any of the log files if I note the time the excess activity starts up,
if so which one would be best to look at?

     Sorry - I got a bit confused, the problem started after installing
Karmic (not Meerkat) on a clean partition (not upgrading the existing
jaunty) but thanks for the tip re lts versions - I must remember that.

     Thanks again for your suggestions and interest

Chris