[HLUG] wireless on ubuntu lucid

Paul Stenning paul at sp-tech.co.uk
Mon May 10 17:52:03 UTC 2010

I am running Ubunti 10.4 on my Eee PC 701 and haven't had to change the
kernal or recompile anything, it works OK.  I don't know what wireless
card is in it though.

I do have two problems with it, neither of which are a big deal at the
moment:

The MAC address of the wireless adaptor seems to change periodically
(several days) meaning I cannot use MAC locking on the router.  I
thought the MAC address was set in hardware/firmware but obviously not.

The wireless would not connect if I enabled the higher speed 802.11n
functionality in the router (even though it is supposed to be backward
compatible) so I am running on 802.11g.  I don't have any 802.11n
equipment anyway so it's not a big deal.

Paul