[HLUG] Random question of the week!

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sat Sep 4 09:51:38 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 10:35 +0100, info at lifespacedesign.co.uk wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> > 1) A USB Smartcard Reader that works under linux?
> I have 2 multi card readers that work, but I don't know about Smartcard format,
> is that the Sony one?

Nope, it's the SmartCard format (used in ID cards etc), not a storage
device.

> > 2) A old PC (doesn't need a hard-disk) that can PXE boot with at least
> > 300M RAM
> Please explain PXE boot requirements.

Network card and a PXE capable BIOS (provide the ability to boot from a
network)

> > 3) An old AT/ATX PC case that would fit a Motherboard and a PSU?
> Need to know Mobo dimensions and CPU cooling arrangement. I have a range of
> cases in hand.

Cool, I'll dig out the MoBo and send them over!

> > I've discovered that I skipped all my old hardware as part of a major
> > clear out and I'd really like to be able to demonstrate moving  sessions
> > between thin-clients and other computers using SmartCards under x2go!
> Does it have to be Smartcards? why not just use thumbdrives?

Two-factor authentication is easier with SmartCards (althugh it is
doable with USB thumb drives)

M.

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace