[HLUG] Random question of the week!

info at lifespacedesign.co.uk info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 10:09:59 UTC 2010

Matt,

As you may already know my hardware pile is skipware, so I have no manuals or
user guides to derive specifications for anything. I am already committed to
provide 2 vanilla boxes with XP and space to do demo installs and am struggling
to find reliable psu's so if you have one that helps greatly.
Also I have no way of knowing if the bios in the mobo chips I have is original
or reflashed; so a model number may suggest, but not prove, a board is network
bootable.
In view of recent developments with terminal/server networks and booting from
USB drives I am inclined to drop one of the two demo machines in favour of
prioritising a box for you to demo network and usb boot/installs.
I am concerned about the Smartcard reader is that a deal breaker ? In other
words can you do something similar with usb sticks which are more familiar and
widespread among general users.

On 04 September 2010 at 11:51 Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
<matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 10:35 +0100, info at lifespacedesign.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
> > > 1) A USB Smartcard Reader that works under linux?
> > I have 2 multi card readers that work, but I don't know about Smartcard
> > format,
> > is that the Sony one?
>
> Nope, it's the SmartCard format (used in ID cards etc), not a storage
> device.
>
> > > 2) A old PC (doesn't need a hard-disk) that can PXE boot with at least
> > > 300M RAM
> > Please explain PXE boot requirements.
>
> Network card and a PXE capable BIOS (provide the ability to boot from a
> network)
See comment above ref bios. I have plenty of 10/100 ethernet pci cards.

> > > 3) An old AT/ATX PC case that would fit a Motherboard and a PSU?
> > Need to know Mobo dimensions and CPU cooling arrangement. I have a range of
> > cases in hand.
>
> Cool, I'll dig out the MoBo and send them over!
>

> > > I've discovered that I skipped all my old hardware as part of a major
> > > clear out and I'd really like to be able to demonstrate moving  sessions
> > > between thin-clients and other computers using SmartCards under x2go!
> > Does it have to be Smartcards? why not just use thumbdrives?
>
> Two-factor authentication is easier with SmartCards (althugh it is
> doable with USB thumb drives)
Now I begin to get it. This could be a student or employee going from one
workstation to another taking their work with them by leaving it on the server
and just moving the desktop session ?

Please clarify if that was a full inventory or a range of options - ie am I
looking for a PC AND a case?
Pete