[HLUG] PC's and Distro's

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sat Sep 4 12:14:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 12:26 +0100, Sarah Chard wrote:
> points accepted -  and we are ubuntu heavy but that I suppose reflects
> what alot if us are using - not really planning to bring my eee as it's
> a work machine unless totally necessary! - might try mandriva at some
> point :)
> Mint on the other laptop then
> no vinux but have the info to hand
>
> matt will need to really check his system runs smoothly on the kit you
> can come up with - nothing worse than having something to demo and it
> keeps breaking -

Wow, I go out for an hour an miss an entire conversation! :)

If the kit will boot from the network, then we are safe.

To absolutely rule out any  margins of error, I have a motherboard, PSU
and network card which I believe will enable me to put together a second
machine provided Pete can supply a case.

The great thing about having the Windows XP boxes there is that I should
be able to demo someone logging out of the "classrooom PC" and logging
in to the still running session at "home" on both Linux and Windows.

I'm going to start work on this today so I'll trial it with my
laptop...thinking about it (and realising that this email is rapidly
turning into stream of conciousness writing!) my laptop can PXE boot and
it's running Ubuntu anyway, so we should be able to use that instead...

Let's do that.  Pete - don't worry about it.  I think we'll have enough
Ubuntu boxes for it not to matter if I'm running something else... ;)

Kind regards,

Matt
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace