[HLUG] virtualbox

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:52:10 UTC 2011

On 5 August 2011 14:33, GEOFF BAGLEY <geoff.bagley at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Please see below -
>
> > From: Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk>
> > Subject: Re: [HLUG] virtualbox
> > To: herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk
> > Date: Friday, 5 August, 2011, 7:28
> > On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 10:49 +0100,
> > GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> > > Please can you confirm that VirtualBox, having a
> > Sun/Oracle background, requires "registration"?
> > >
> > > Has anyone tried  quemu  or xen ?
> >
> > Hi,
> > Just bear in mind that to get real value from KVM/QEMU/XEN
> > you need
> > hardware that supports VT at the minimum.
> >

> Dear Matthew
>
> I guess that "VT"  refers to some kind of  hardware enhancement.  I
> understand that KVM uses the kernel.  Does it also need VT ?

Hi Geoff

VT is the hardware virtaulisation that you need for for virtaulisation. You
can use qemu (not KVM) without it, but any virtualisation is pretty slow
going without VT.

> I may have to revise my original plan to play with virtualisation and
> hypervisors on a clapped-out old desktop that is cluttering my desk !

Well VT has been around a while. decent spec pc's and servers have had VT
for about 5 years. You may also have to enable it in the BIOS too as some
MoBo's didnt used to have it enabled.

> I also prefer to use "free" software in the GNU sense, if that should be
> available.

Yes, of course

> I don't want to use this present ASUS 7010  lap-top for experimentation. It
> is the family work-horse !

fair point !

Theres lots of variety around in terms of Virtalization these days. I
mentioned Archipel which is shaping up really well which is fully GPL, and
my favourite for server based work is Proxmox, again supports KVM and also
OpenVZ yet another form of virtualization, containerisation really .

Julian