[HLUG] Herefordshire Digest, Vol 1383, Issue 1

Kevin Dontenville kevin at opensure.net
Thu Oct 6 11:13:08 UTC 2011

Hi Geoff

Unsurprisingly I use our own Zimbra and Citadel mail systems that support shareable, privileged, on and offline sync so you can access via phone, laptop, mail client, web and pull to and from other mail accounts. I keep all my email from the last 15 years, the last 8yrs on line in my inboxes and use filters tags and searches instead of folders to group together email, contacts and calendars etc. That way things 'appear' in different places depending on context without having to duplicate them.

It means I can keep most things quickly to hand. The offline side doubles as backup copies, useful for reference and backstops, especially when internet dies. I find I still need to reference information that would be safely in the cloud when I am not! I have been traveling too much to expect on ubiquitous access but I think it depends what you use email, contacts, cals etc for as to whether offline is important.

Using IMAP instead of POP3 you dont need to have things in one place, I sync things across several devices. On the phone side, a copy of all contacts synced and the next month or so of dates synced along with pulling the most recent emails is all I generally need.

I have a gmail account but I use it for unimportant stuff. Google index your mail and learn how to sell their clients products to you in search results and web visits which gets tiresome. Right now they 'do no evil' but I have seen corporations do the most dreadful things when it suits them so I think a little care with my data is needed at times!

So, nothing wrong with gmail, its free but not OS. There is no need to keep it on the web or offline, do both if you like. But big brother is watching you, so long as he is on your side, that's fine :-)

Kind regards

Kevin Dontenville
kevin at opensure.net

OpenSure - Ethical, Green and Open Hosting
opensure.net support at opensure.net
blog.opensure.net twitter.com/OpenSure

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of OpenSure (Keepnet Ltd), are confidential, may be subject to legal privilege and intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above. Any unauthorised use, retention, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. WARNING: Although we scan all email it is your responsibility to take all necessary steps to ensure this e-mail and any attachments to it are free from malware.
Keepnet Limited registered in England No 3566710 Registered office: 1 Hathaway Court, Milton Keynes MK8 0LG