[HLUG] New year's update & Lineage 14.0 to 16.0 upgrade possible?

Ceri Williams email-me at incoming-email.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 21:33:55 UTC 2020

Happy New Year!

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 19:16, Julian Robbins via Herefordshire <
herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm hoping we can get more Linux and Open Source events going this year,
> and am looking at getting something organised in a couple of months time to
> start with. If anyone has any topics they would like to see please let us
> know and we'll see what we can do
>
> Perhaps something rPi-related, such as running Pi-hole or unbound along
with privoxy or similar?
Rolling the die for brick/bootloop/success when flashing phones is already
limited to those devices that allow you to flash and a ROM that you can
trust .. otherwise, you are better off with Google than risking your
security ;)

> On another matter, I have a phone running Lineage 14 that I need to get
> flashed to lineage 16. But can I flash directly to 16, or do I need to
> flash 15 on first? I would imagine it would not matter, but wondered if
> anyone knows for sure or can shed any light on this?
>
> My Moto G4 Plus that was running LineageOS couldn't go past Nougat, so I
don't know the answer to that. I looked for other official ROMs that
provided Oreo to test at the time, but I couldn't get any of them to flash
successfully. I ended up reverting to the original ROM as the Moto had Oreo
made available to it and I needed the security fixes and also have to be
running the latest or previous major Android release for work. My Huawei
has been much better with timely security patches and OTA major updates (10
is due in the next couple of months), plus Huawei pulled the unlock codes
so I couldn't anyway. Good luck!