[HLUG] Good open source remote back solution ?

Ceri Williams hlug at incoming-email.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 16:52:19 UTC 2022

Hi Julian,

Hope that you're well. Wednesdays just haven't been a good slot for me
for a while, hence my extended absence after my shoulder had repaired
itself :)

TL;DR I make restic simpler by scripting around it (but it is specific
to my setup)

I switched all of my systems to Ubuntu to simplify life, ZFS using
in-built encryption for the OS fs allowing for a single script that is
easy to maintain.

As I spend most of my time in the terminal, I use a mix of ZFS snapshots
and "a tool". It used to be Borg, but I was seeing some odd problems and
switched to restic and those problems disappeared, so didn't bother
investigating any further. I would say the I prefer restic anyway,
_seems_ faster, plus it works nicely with rclone if needed. The

I set ZFS properties to label filesystems to backup and then the script
goes along the lines of:

  * Unlock and mount encrypted external storage
  * Find labelled filesystems and take snapshots
  * Mount snapshots + boot in a backup directory to mirror the normal fs
    tree
  * Run restic using the backup directory as the source and store the
    repo on external storage
  * Cleanup

It isn't quite bombproof and is missing full restore tests, but I do
some manual checks every so often. On top of that, a fair amount of
things to backup are already in Git repos, automated via Ansible, or
already in duplicate/triplicate across systems.

In between backup runs, ZSys takes regular, automatic snapshots of my
OS, including ones each time APT runs

> Previously I used Restic.net for my backups, this is an excellent  > tool, but being command line tool only I wanted something a little >
easier to use .

What do you find needs to be easier with restic? You could always
automate via a script to wrap it all together, you can then drop it in
cron/systemd timers ;)

Hope to manage to make it to a meetup at some point in the not so
distant future.

Cheers,

Ceri

On 12/03/2022 13:14, Julian Robbins via Herefordshire wrote:
> Hi everyone  > > Good to see Spring seems to be finally upon us. > > Previously I
used Restic.net for my backups, this is an excellent > tool, but being
command line tool only I wanted something a little > easier to use . > >
I came across Volta which is a nice, well maintained GUI for Borg >
Backup which is similar to Restic in the way it works. I haven't > tried
it much yet, but so far so good. Very easy to get running and > use. > >
Just wondering what other solutions people in the group use, as I'm >
sure you all make regular backups don't you 😉? > > Thanks Julian > > >