[Nottingham] Running Ubuntu at Nottingham Uni

David Aldred davidaldred at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:11:30 UTC 2012

On 24 May 2012 16:55, Dan Caseley <dan at caseley.me.uk> wrote:

> I don't see the problem with an organisation like that saying "We know
> Windows, but we'll make best efforts on absolutely anyone who goes for
> Bring Your Own Device. No promises, but at least our nerds can Google for
> you".
>
> Maybe not those precise words. But you see the intention. They don't need
> to employ experts of every discipline, they just need someone with a bit of
> techno knowhow who is more likely to know the correct search engine
> incantation to get him/herself a possible answer. It really doesn't need to
> be costly or regimented.

 Hmm.  But do you think people who haven't the ability to google things for
themselves actually understand that sort of support (and would have read
the meaning of the term 'support' before calling anyway)?  Or do you think
they perhasp tend to get all heated that you can't sort their problem out
for them, there and then?

And have you often actually tried talking someone using a system you don't
know through the instructions you found on a google search - which may or
may not relate to what they are seeing on (say) a Samsung Android device,
as opposed to an HTC one?

It's really not as easy as that, in the real world.

Yes, they are all University students and staff.  No, that doesn't mean
they necessarily have much of a clue about computers!

David Aldred