[Sussex] Dogbert for President.

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Sun Mar 9 20:57:02 UTC 2003

Slugs, the final User Group.
These are the rantings of the Slug group, Sussexprise.
Its ongoing mission to Open All Source Code,
To convert people to Debian ,
and apt-get where no one has sourced before......

Captains Log : Stardate 09032003

Sussex, was cetainly less discussive than the week before although as
someone kindly pointed out our noise to signal ratio can be a little
high. Something Im in support of where the community is making a
concious effort to further the investment and interest of Open Source.

We kicked off from last week with Steve ( im  a Kernel Coder, jack and
im ok!) Dobson reminding us that like Gentoo, Debian has delivered a few
updates of its own. and his information about updating your KDE was
priceless,given the amount Matt and George like to keep KDE upto date
and unstable as possible.
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001871.html

and yes the following is a Excellent link on that topic, included by
Stephen and repeated here
	http://devel-home.kde.org/~nolden/kde/README

Geoff countered later on with more useful and helpful hints about gentoo
like package searching
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001872.html

Geoff also discovered that the adverts never run true. Dell would love
you all to start saying. "Dude your getting a Dell". In fact its more
like "Dude, your getting Dell Hell!".
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001875.html

Personally I think all the Dell Staff have been taking a lead from their
corporate Mascot.
	http://nypost.com/news/regionalnews/68896.htm

Or maybe Linux is Code for please install Microsoft products on my PC.
Though Im betting that even with Linux preinstalled your stll going to
get a Windows XP licence No Sticker on the Laptop. which is the real
reason why theyve changed the order !

And whilst Geoff squalared in Dell order process Hell

Andrew spotted some coincidences of the group
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001882.html
Seems Andrew and Geoff shared parking spaces at some point. I would say
its a small small world, but I believe that this is Copyright of Disney!

Derek chimed in with even more familial connections.
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001893.html

Which were frankly very spooky and a little Steven King like for me, I
think should Derek ever leave the county then ravens will fly in from
london and peck away the foundations of the building till it collapses
and then MS will relocate from Redmond in order to launch a massive
offensive against the Sussex Linux user group! So Derek dont move!

Although it appears that Geoff is already installing the appropriate
foundations
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001934.html

Maybe thats why his Dell is being shipped with XP. And Geoff continued
his Binary, 0 integer technical referencial in discussing the square
about
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001938.html

And in the usual style of all Slug conversations we managed to totally
tangenetalise the whole conversation as Geoff and Derek break into
discussing a little Latiin.
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001895.html

Although I have to say that the best known latin from my perpsective is
Dems dars arus Trux, dems ders ars Loris.

Although the actual latin in question may have a little cross list post
reference to a little known buffy episodes whose latin commentary was
regarding,
	It Eats your, starting from the Bottom!

And so We started a new thread ( Threadetus Postum! )
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001899.html
As Derek cracked open the latin and sig thread and as approprium! moved
it from Latin to Binary.. How we do that is anyones guess!

and then we went back to it and across and started talking about and
voting for a whole large set of counting systems.
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001944.html

With Mark attempting a late entry for the programming competition with
his RNA codex
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001945.html

Stephen carried on the Cable modem conversation from Jophn Crowhurst
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001891.html
Showing off his excellent cut and paste ascii art skills in network
diagrams. And Sparking off quite the debate about Firewalls, routers and
Nat enabled addresses and forwarded addresses. Reminding me of a
particulalry apt story. But highlighting that many people are making use
of IPCOP and a few of us are not using Firewalls of any sort and still
connecting up to the internet, Oh the Horrror!!!!!!

Speaking of Horrors
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001911.html
Geoff ( posting with his long winded name!) seems to have ben granted
user access to the public vehicle transportation system. Having been
granted D10 he now has permission to operate mechanical transport
systems in user space!

Andrew Guard dug out the old alt.net.humour archive to post a reminder
about
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001910.html
This leads me to ask the question to all you old timers of the net, how
many times have you seen {insert copy of content from alt.net.humour}
since you first saw it. I know I actually ban ( on pain of being email
bombared with log scripts and subscriptions ) friends and relative from
sending jokes and funnies in the emails to me. Caue sure as eggs is
ouefs the next cousing of mine who gets his first internet account
seems to want to send out the same old humour spam time and time again.
I wonder if spam assasin might be moderated for old-usenet-gags ?

re reading that last paragraph I need to make it clear to Andrew that
this is not a dig at andrew posting the comment but a commentary on how
much seems to be repeated. I mean think about it Terrabytes of data a
day and all I get is the repeats!

Case in point :
Geoff added a new man page!
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001958.html

Andrew followed through on more news about the internet
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001918.html
	http://www.netcraft.com/survey/
Quoting as he does form one of my favourite surveys , Netcraft
demonstrates so many ways how MS keeps loosing out on the web space. I
wish we had a similar tool for Email Delivery to show how much OS it
used to deliver mail!

A man with a very very very Long Name, so im going to call him Matthew
posted a discussion regarding he desire to be able to dual boot!
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001941.html
Which kicked off a interesting set of threads and angles on how people
would approach this problem.

By Thursday Geoff chimed in with the news that the list is growing ever
more popular and active, and this of course means we have way way way
more lurkers out there.
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001961.html
70 Readers, maybe more of this list. has anyone done a distribution
graphs to see where we are allbased ?

So of course Geoff wished to welcome all those new readers.
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001962.html
and in the same parapgrah accused Stephen, Himself and I of windbagging
<grin> Leaping mr Dobson to our defence as quickly as you can say ACK

And pointed Gareth and Stephen into discussions over intergrating C into
php
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001966.html
Which gave Geoff ample opportunity to change the thread <grin>
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001969.html
no that I did not help though!

Geoff posted that Sco are looking deperate in their attempts to recover
revenue.
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001967.html

David contrinuted to Xandroses coffers as he purchases a license to
Xandros Standard Desktop.
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001973.html
So we await the install nightmare and fun yet to come though Geoff seems
to have been there, done that .

Andrew pointed to more pirating madness, as the BSA mistakes the word
Office for MS Office!
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001975.html
Seems the BSA could do with a lesson in using regular expressions

Topics of conversation that no one really responded to !

Mark Olliver, followed up with effective Ascii Art network diagrams in
	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001935.html
Although I was impressed that his Sig was actually LONGER than the whole
message.

Geoff was after some sort of ThinkGeek UK
http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/001953.html
which I think means he needs to look into
http://www.geekstyles.co.uk

So, um. we been busy and we been active and we certainly kept our
topics, um topical. Ive not watched too much CNX but I have watched a
little more Dilbert. Smallville is growing on me and C is giving me the
headache I thought it would and Stephen did not tell me what magazine he
wanted to that goes on.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and review. if you have opinions or
thoughts. Or if geoff and your planning to take this off on a whole new
thread then please feel very very free to do so!

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

Two atoms are talking to each other, and one says,
"I think I've just lost an electron!"
"Are you certain?" the other replies.
"Yes! I'm positive!"